According to the Internet, nearly 60% of people say they would sever ties with a company following just one negative customer service experience.
With that in mind, here are the top 7 customer service skills your team simply cannot do without:
- Patience – Still reading? We may need you on our But, seriously – when customers feel frustrated, flustered, or simply confused they rely on customer service representatives to take the time to help them reach a solution, regardless of how outlandish their questions may seem on the surface. One last note: Patience is never an excuse to drag your feet. A prompt response is always necessary.
- Compassion: Empathy takes patience to a higher level. Staying cool under fire – and there will ultimately, undoubtedly be fire – while lending a calm, compassionate ear is a truly unique trait that not many people have. The ability to put one’s self in a customer’s place and attempt to see things through their eyes is invaluable.
- Listening: Active listening is effective listening. It requires receptiveness, repetition, and a measured dose of notetaking. Allow customers to speak freely without interruption, then repeat the message back to them in a summarized form. This ensures the problem is identified and reassures your customers that a solution is on its way.
- Communication: It’s a tightrope to walk, but those who able to navigate it will go far. Explanations should be clear and as concise as possible without appearing curt or indifferent. The ideal team member will be cautious to avoid potentially confusing turns of phrase and will also be able to incorporate positive language into their conversational patterns.
- Knowledge: A thorough knowledge of your company, its services, and all protocols is critical. Your team cannot help your customers if they don’t know a thing about the inner workings of your business.
- Problem-solving: There will be times when a team member does not have all – or possibly any – of the answers. When situations like these arise, it is critical that an employee be able to think on his or her feet and deliver attentive service, while reaching out to someone who can shed more light on the subject.
- Positivity: Your team should never focus on what it cannot do or provide for a customer, but what they can do, now, to make the customer’s life easier. This is part and parcel of a positive outlook, which is to say approaching each challenge with optimism and a commitment to see things through.
Edwards Answering Service prides itself on customer service agents who demonstrate the aforementioned skills and traits. Owning and operating a business is filled with myriad responsibilities. We can handle your business’s calls when you can’t, while providing the customer support your customers deserve (and your success depends on). Call us today at 800-606-3273 to learn more.